First Year Experience (FYE) implements programs in your residential community focused on supporting first-year and transfer students through their transition to the University of Michigan! These programs can be requested for a group and on a 1-1 basis. We also offer weekly virtual programming open to all students! Our programs are led by undergraduate Program Facilitators so you can connect with and hear from other University of Michigan students. See the programs offered and how to request them below!
Weekly Virtual Programs
- Money Management Mondays: Do you want to build money management skills? Examine your spending habits and identify your financial goals to begin establishing your financial priorities, wants, and needs. Get tips on how to organize your expenses, access to easy-to-use budgeting tools, and learn about different types of expenses and income that are present during the college student experience! Join us on 04/13 from 2pm-3pm EST via BlueJeans.
- Time Management Tuesdays: How do you manage your time while working virtually? In this program, we assess how you currently spend your time, set goals for how you want to spend your time in the future, and take steps to get there. Learn how to create a structure and schedule for yourself while working remotely and find ways to create a productive learning space for yourself at home. Additionally, get tips to effectively manage your time to be successful academically, personally, and organizationally! Join us on 04/07 and 04/14 from 3pm-4pm EST via BlueJeans.
- Wellness Wednesdays: Throughout the semester, it is important to recharge and take care of yourself. With the many changes surrounding virtual learning at U-M, it is even more important to practice wellness to balance your student experience. Join us as we see what wellness looks like for you, develop skills to manage the feelings and experiences you may be going through, and learn about resources to support you on your wellness journey! All the tools we give you will be applicable to everyone who is working remotely. Join us on 04/08 and 04/15 from 2pm-3pm EST via BlueJeans.
- Study Table Thursdays: Do you want to find a consistent time to dedicate to studying? Join the FYE Program Facilitators as we connect through study tables! Students of all concentrations are welcome to join as we use this time to get together and get some work done. Join us on 04/09 and 04/16 from 5PM-6PM EST via BlueJeans.
1-1 Virtual Programming
- Money Management
- Time Management
- Prioritize Wellness
- Resume Labs
In-Person Group Programming
The virtual programs we offer on a 1-1 basis can also be requested for a group! In addition, we offer the following group programs:
- Funds of Knowledge: Using a strengths-based approach, we explore what knowledge and skills you bring from your homes, families, and/or communities to U-M. This interactive workshop helps deepen your understanding of your personal background, identities, and experiences in relation to how you can thrive as a student, all while learning from other students' experiences too. Identifying the funds of knowledge you carry can be used as a tool of empowerment as you navigate higher education and achieve your goals!
- Navigating Your Involvement: Do you want to get involved on campus? Would you like to make friends, connect to a community, support a cause, build skills outside of the classroom, and more? There are so many ways to get involved on campus, and this program will get you started on finding ways you can do that! By reflecting on your past experiences and identifying your personal interests, we can support you through navigating the various opportunities at the University of Michigan. This includes finding organizations, community programs, and/or initiatives that align with your experiences and interests.
- Resume Labs: Have you started a draft of your resume but want to get it looked over? Do you want to create one but aren’t sure where to start? Wherever you’re at, drop-in to get support for all stages of the resume writing process! Learn how to take your on campus experiences and transform them into valuable work experiences. We give direct support to each individual that attends and can help tailor your resume to your desired academic and/or job-related field.
- Take Time Before You Sign (Your Lease): Do you want to explore your housing options for next year? Whether you want to live off campus, in a residence hall, or if you want to join Fraternity and Sorority Life, we can provide helpful information with key details regarding each option! You can also learn about handling the legalities around leases, deposits, and monthly rent. Hear from FYE Program Facilitators’ personal experiences navigating the housing search and get answers to any questions you may have!
Would you like to participate in these programs? Fill out our FYE Program Request Form! Students, staff, and faculty are welcome to request any of these programs through the links below: